We like to share the recipe for the Flemish Beef Stew that tasted so well yesterday evening.
Family recipe of Veronique!
Ingredients (for 4 people)
• 1 kg beef (nerve piece, into equal pieces)
• 2 large onions
• 1 bottle dark beer (min. 1 bottle)
• fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 slice solid brown bread
• 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
• Peel the onions and chop them in pieces, not too fine.
• Heat a large casserole, melt a knob of butter. Stew the onions, don’t let them get brown.
• Stew the pieces of meat in the casserole until they have a golden brown color. Season the meat during cooking with some of the pepper and a pinch of salt. Pour the beer in it. Mix all the meat in the pan while the beer is brought to a boil.
Tip: Feel free to use a little more beer than indicated.
• Tie a few bay leaves and a few sprigs of fresh thyme and put it in the pot.
• Spread the brown bread generously (sharp) mustard. Put the bread in the pot, with the buttered side down.
• Let the stew simmer for 1,5 to 3 hours on a low heat. You don’t have to cover the pot. The cooking time depends on the quality of the meat. Stir occasionally in the pot and check in between whether the meat is cooked enough.
• Only when the stew sauce has the desired thickness, you place the cover on the stew.
• Taste and season with a little freshly milled pepper, and a pinch of salt.